How much should I expect to pay for my extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I understand this is a "How much is a piece of string?" question but will try to explain as best as I can.
We would like to extend our two bedroom, ground floor maisonette. We would like to convert the bathroom into a third bedroom, move the current bathroom and toilet and add a kitchen, dining area and utility room/storage area. Please see my floor plans as I am sure my explanation is pure confusion. One plan is of our place as it currently stands and the other is of our proposed extension.
The job will involve:
- Adding a 900x4397 extension to the front and knocking the living room window through to create an entry way. The front door would be relocated here and the side entrance would be blocked off. This extension would have windows and two doors; one street door and another to keep the warmth in and the drought out.
- Adding a rear extension: 10850 x 1828. This would incorporate the kitchen, dining area and the utility room and would go from one rear wall all the way to the back fence.
- Removing 4397mm of wall between the living room and the hallway.
- Creating an entryway from the hallway into the new extension but breaking through an external supporting wall.
- Creating a bathroom area where the side entrance front door use to be by constructing a wall in the main bedroom (approx. 4280mm), and relocating the bedroom door.
- Our current bathroom is located behind the current kitchen. We would like the wall between these rooms removed and a new one constructed two feet forward of that. The bathroom will become a third bedroom and the current kitchen will become a closet area.
- New electrics throughout and we are considering if it's feasible to have underfloor heating in the rear extension area.
- Knocking out two chimney breasts. Bearing in mind that it is likely that the flat upstairs still has their chimney breast in tact.
I understand it is hard to give a guestimate on how much any job like this would cost but just sort of hoping to find out if this is worth a go or if it's more money than it is worth.
I've gotten so much help and advice from this website already. Thanks everyone.

Current Property
View media item 61996
Property with Proposed Alterations:
View media item 61997

Sponsored Links
I presume your property is leasehold? If so have you read your lease to see whether you would be allowed to undertake structural alterations?

The property is leasehold but we have applied for permission to build on it. We have seen where others with similar properties have built on theirs so don't expect there will be an issue.
What additional informational I need to provide? I've had two builders come in and one managed to give us a quote, the other said we needed to have structural engineers in first to gauge which walks are structural. This is still a lofty dream still and I would like some reassurance that it is financially worth it. Wouldn't do us any good if we started work and found out we couldn't borrow enough money to complete it.
Looking for a ball park figure. I really haven't a clue how much I should expect to pay but know how much the bank might lend me.[/list]

Sponsored Links
How would you get to a position where you started work and then didn't have enough money to complete??

You will have had tech drawings made and builders would accurately quote you based on those. At that point you can decide whether it is affordable.

A question for you, what would you be prepared to pay?

All money is being borrowed from the bank as part of a home improvement loan (that's the plan anyway). I consider it a start as soon as we have paid out any money to make it happen. I THINK we can borrow up to £40000 so can only go up to that and this needs to do everything. If everyone says to get this work done is going to take £30000 to create the shell then that won't be feasible but I would have already paid for architect, surveyor etc.
I expect the improvements would add value to the property but, because of the location and type of property, there is probably a ceiling on the value. Wouldn't be an issue if we could live here forever but I expect we will have to sell up and move when our kids get bigger.

Am i asking for reassurance that no one can give?
I just need to know that I'm not about to pay out for architect, building regs, planning permission, water board, tree removal and buying a place that is currently too small for us but we'll be stuck in for 5 year only to hear then that our proposed work is going to cost in excess of £60,000 and the bank can't won't lend us the money we neee because it surpasses the value of the property and potential value in the area.

£1000 per m² + the kitchen, + the internal stuff + drawing fees + LA fees.

£40K: no chance!

Self building the lot yourself for £40K is probably doable.

£40K may get you the extensions alone done by a builder without finishes or the kitchen. Then you'd have to add on all the internals, kitchen and finishes & fees. Probably need to add a premium for London too.

Don`t worry - "deludedaussie" will be along soon

...............advice you can really trust :confused:

Am i asking for reassurance that no one can give?
I just need to know that I'm not about to pay out for architect, building regs, planning permission, water board, tree removal and buying a place that is currently too small for us but we'll be stuck in for 5 year only to hear then that our proposed work is going to cost in excess of £60,000 and the bank can't won't lend us the money we neee because it surpasses the value of the property and potential value in the area.

Confusing!!

In the post quoted above you talk about buying the place, in your first post you say you own the place and have applied to the freeholder for permission to extend.

So which is it? Do you own the place or not?

And why would you have to pay for tree removal prior to getting a quote??

All money is being borrowed from the bank as part of a home improvement loan (that's the plan anyway). I consider it a start as soon as we have paid out any money to make it happen. I THINK we can borrow up to £40000 so can only go up to that and this needs to do everything. If everyone says to get this work done is going to take £30000 to create the shell then that won't be feasible but I would have already paid for architect, surveyor etc.
I expect the improvements would add value to the property but, because of the location and type of property, there is probably a ceiling on the value. Wouldn't be an issue if we could live here forever but I expect we will have to sell up and move when our kids get bigger.

Find the value of the house on Zoopla, what houses have sold for, just enter the postcode. They also show the rental value.

Sorry Andy, Pred has beaten you by a day and a pound. Think I will go with him.
A ballpark figure is surprisingly reassuring. This morning i want sure if the work i wantewould cost £40k or £140k. £70k, though much more than we anticipated might not be impossible. ... maybe the bank will be nice? g
The husband is pretty good at DIY but I think we'll leave the construction business up to professionals. Don't need to be calling in DIYSOS to make our house inhabitable after we've botched it. We'll try to cut costs by doing the painting and decorating ourselves and we lay a mean laminate floor. .. seriously, we do.
Think we shall just have to take the plunge really. I will be coming back with more irritating questions so please bare with me. s

Sorry Indus. I cut a huge part out for ease. It is a council house that we have applied to buy. It is too small for our family as is but we are willing to buy it if we can adapt it to suit our needs. We are hoping the discount we get will cover the cost of the extension.
The council has given us a value for the property which we think is way under market value. Hopefully the bank will realize the true value of the place and give us what we need.

Sorry Andy, Pred has beaten you by a day and a pound. Think I will go with him.
A ballpark figure is surprisingly reassuring. This morning i want sure if the work i wantewould cost £40k or £140k. £70k, though much more than we anticipated might not be impossible. ... maybe the bank will be nice? g
The husband is pretty good at DIY but I think we'll leave the construction business up to professionals. Don't need to be calling in DIYSOS to make our house inhabitable after we've botched it. We'll try to cut costs by doing the painting and decorating ourselves and we lay a mean laminate floor. .. seriously, we do.
Think we shall just have to take the plunge really. I will be coming back with more irritating questions so please bare with me. s

Glad to have hopefully been of help, now go to the General Discussion forum and try and upset a few people. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back