Fitting a new flue to a Potterton Kingfisher II

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a floor standing Potterton Kingfisher Mk II boiler that was in the house when I bought it and which works so well that I am reluctant (and too mean!) to replace it.

However the flue pipe that comes out of the top of the boiler and connect to an internal chimney is in bad repair and needs replacing.

Question is what type of flue should I replace it with and is this a job that I can take on myself i.e. are there any safety issues that require an expert to fit the new flue?

Any other tips most welcome.

Sponsored Links
Garyell said:
However the flue pipe that comes out of the top of the boiler and connect to an internal chimney is in bad repair and needs replacing.
Exactly how 'bad' is this flue and why does it need replacing?

baxpoti said:
Garyell said:
Exactly how 'bad' is this flue and why does it need replacing?

The current flue is old "Urastone" construction and the joint to the wall is loose, a join half way up is loose and it has been painted which is flaking.

Sponsored Links
ollski said:
Garyell said:
are there any safety issues that require an expert to fit the new flue?

imho yes, lots.

What are the safety risks? I am no DIY expert but thought looking at it that providing the new flue is fitted with some type of sealing compound (to the biloer and to the wall/ internal chimney) then it shouldn't pose any risk?

Switch the boiler off until you have had a flue flow test carried out by some one who knows what their doing :evil:

I don't suppose you've got any ventilation either :?:

You need expert advice on site

baxpoti said:
Switch the boiler off until you have had a flue flow test carried out by some one who knows what their doing :evil:

I don't suppose you've got any ventilation either :?:

You need expert advice on site

Thanks for the advice, and yes we do have a permanently vented window in the kitchen.

Any advice on the what to replace it with and can I do it?

I dont expect that British Gas will accept a "window vent" whatever that is.

I feel uncomfortable even allowing an un restricted round hole vent in a window even though some Councils were fitting them in their property. I list them as NCS on Landlord certs but I have not seen any definitive instruction about them. They dont have the safety words on them for a start.

There are new regulations relating to open flued boilers taking effect soon !

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back