Fitting a new loft hatch and ladder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi! I just bought a new semi-detached house, built circa 1960. The actual loft hatch is over the bathtub, and I was planning to fit another one with a ladder in the landing area.

I have located the joists direction under some boarding and insulation, and across these are two binders, dividing the roof area in three roughly similar areas.

The idea is to remove the old insulation, boarding, cold water and central heating header tank, lay new insulation inbetween and across the joists and fit some StoreFloor in the central third of the loft.

Best position of the loft hatch is close to one of the binders. It is OK to cut the joists nearby these binders? I mean, cut and fit two noggings each side of the opening :) Maybe my question is a but stupid because the current opening is nearby the other binder.

Probably I need to take a pic or two for making my explanations more clear :)

Sponsored Links
yes, please post pics?
where exactly on the landing ceiling do you propose to cut a hatch?

This is where I want the new hatch:

A9cfpyL.jpg

And this is the roof construction:

e6Z0ns3.jpg

This is one of the "binders. There are three, one in the centre and another two halfway between the centre one and front/back walls:

4LLAXBG.jpg

This is the area where the CH header tank was located, you can see the central binder, looks like a good place for the hatch:

Yv7xRkx.jpg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back