Binders? (Loft ladder)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am about to install a new loft ladder but have a quick question about what I believe to be a binder?

It is 4x2s running across the joists, one either side of the loft.
I hope that makes sense.

Can I cut this so that's loft ladder will fit or is it a case of choosing a new location?

Sponsored Links
Is the binder supporting just the ceiling joists, or is it supporting anything else as well, such a a purlin? Pics would help.

Hi, can't see it supporting anything else, it's not set into the wall either.

Is it there instead of noggins?

Then it's probably just something to support the ceiling joists; is it suspended by hangers off any roof members?

Sponsored Links
Nope. Literally just skewed nailed in to the joists. Only thing I could think was to stop them twisting.

Nope. Literally just skewed nailed in to the joists. Only thing I could think was to stop them twisting.
Yes, and it will aslo be to enhance the load-sharing between the joists.
You should be OK to cut that for your hatch, but it would be best to support the two cut ends by some 3x1 nailed to rafters or a pulin above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back