Loft stairs - moving ceiling Binder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

My loft has already been converted some time ago (before we bought it), but the access was via a sliding ladder through the original hatch.

I am now looking to put a proper stair case in but i think that the ceiling binder may be in the way, so you will have to duck under it whilst going up the stairs.

I dont want to move the whole binder, just a section. Kind of stagger the binder, move the last section back a few foot and tie it back the the original and the brick work.

I understand the work that the binder does, i just need to know if there is a proper way of achieving what i want without weakening the roof structure.

I was thinking of putting a new section of beam a few foot back inserted into the wall then overlapping the new and old beams and tying them together with noggings and metal plates, thus continuing the binder beam

Thanks in advance for any advice given

Sponsored Links
Can you take a piccy?

If it is a binder - ie a timber running across the ceiling joists to help reduce their span, you can simply tie it into the trimmers around your access for the stairs. It isn't needed across your access as you havent got a ceiling there anymore.

Your description makes it sound like a roof purlin, which will be supporting the rafters and will require a bit more care.

your loft has been accessed not converted. the fact that the ceiling binder is still there says it all.

a staircase means b'regs and a whole new can 'o' worms. :eek: :cool:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back