Cutting binders in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I currently have very thin ceiling joists which means my freshly plastered ceilings now have holes where the screws popped through because I went in the attic.

I'm wanting to put a new flooring in but raising it off touching the current ceiling, by putting in 6x2s from each wall end to the other.

In order to do this, the two binders are currently in the way.

I'm planning on getting some acrows to hold ceiling up whilst I remove but have some questions.

1. How will I put the new binders in? Will they be short joins between each of the new floor joists?

2. Currently the binders are cemented in to the wall at each end, do I cut them out and use a wall hanger for the new one?

3. Is the the best method I am proposing?

Sponsored Links
Hi, yes correct - putting in the 6x2s slightly off the wall so no weight touches the existing ceiling.

If putting new floor joists in, you would support the existing ceiling joists off the new joists, with short bits of timber (2x2) nailed
to ceiling joists and floor joists. No need for new binders then.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Tony - as I'm a newbie to this apologies if a dumb question... But wouldn't that then transfer weight back on to the ceiling when walking in the loft?

Do you have an example you could show me? Appreciate the advice.

Aiming to cut them to overhang the middle walls, so rather than 6m it will be more like 3.5m

3.5m is a little excessive for normal floor joists if using 6x2, but if you space them closer than usual (say, @ 300 centres instead of 400)
they will not deflect very much. You could safely fix your ceiling joists to them, without causing any more damage.
All timber-joist floors deflect - it's just a case of keeping the deflection small enough so as not to affect the plaster below.

Thanks again Tony - do you have an example picture/diagram you could post of how the 2x2 will be nailed to the 6x2 and existing ceiling joists?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back