Fitting a new shed roof & insulating?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My current shed is a 2x2m shed using shiplap, it was a double fronted shed from b&q around 7 years ago. Last winter the roof started getting damp in the edges & now it is shot to hell. So now has come the time to fit a new roof.

I also want to insulate the whole shed due to every winter I use it to put away my tropical plants & those harsh winters we had froze all my pots solid & killed a load even inside the shed.

I was going to replace the roof with some 18" exterior plywood & use some kingspan/celotex & then some 6mm ply over that but a friend said I need to leave a gap above the insulation. With the roof laid directly on top of the sides & the two roof beams being only 30mm thick that's not really going to happen. Would I need to re do the roof with a proper roof frame with thicker beams so I can leave a gap or could I just replace with ply as it is now & put some 30mm insulation boards right up to the roof?

Same goes for the sides, the studs are only 30mm thick so I only have 30mm space to put in some insulation. Best I could do is use 25mm insulation boards & leave 5mm gap. Is it worth it or again just use 30mm with no gap?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back