Fitting a new window - advice please!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just bought a house in poor repair and want to fit a new window in the kitchen. The window I have purchased is 40 inches wide and the kitchen is on the ground floor with the bathroom and pitched roof above. The walls are of solid brick construction.

I Intend to buy a concrete reinforced lintel (thought I'd err on the side of caution and get a sturdy sized one) and was going to use needles to hold up the bricks whilst removing enough mortar and bricks to fit the lintel.

Can anyone suggest why this might not work, or why I shouldn't do this? I'm a DIYer, not a builder.

Sponsored Links
What sort of window have you acquired, it must meet current Building Regulations! The work you are doing is subject to Building Control & unless you use a FENSA registered installer, you will need a local authority inspection & a compliance certificate.

Why do you consider a new lintel is necessary? This is structural work &, again, is subject to Building Regulations; unless you know what you are doing I would strongly advise you call in a professional or at least discuss what you are proposing with your LABC.

i think he is creating a new opening.
strongboys are the better than needles as you only need props on one side and they support at a lower point down the wall. make sure they are on a good footing. and leave a decent gap , say 20mm, above the lintel to aid installation. (to be filled with mortar after obviously).
you should notify your local authority building control who may want to see calcs for the lintel - ask them. they will also inspect the window to make sure it is compliant to current regs.

Thanks for the advice squowse - yes, I'm making a new opening.

I have contacted the BCO, awaiting their response before I start work. The new window is a PVCu unit but doesn't, I noticed, have a trickle vent, which I was told are now compulsory in regs.

I'll see what they say though.

Strongboys, hmm. I'll google it and see what comes up!

Thanks again
Toby

Sponsored Links
for replacement windows they are only compulsory if present before.
wait and see what the BCO say.
i suppose they can be added after, don't know much about PVC ones though.

Thanks for the advice squowse - yes, I'm making a new opening.
Oh well, mine wasn’t appropriate advice under the circumstances but your post wasn’t exactly clear; it was still good advice though & I do know about UPVC replacement windows ;) . I'll leave you in the seemingly capable hands of squowse (no offense) then! :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back