Fitting a window in a new opening..... Advice needed!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I'm putting a bathroom in a upstairs room and am going to install a small window, 450mm wide by approx 1m drop. I'm a confident Diyer but have never done this before.

My local building control have said I will need a lintel, even though the window is only two bricks wide!!

So, with a 100m brick single skin/50mm cavity/120mm block what type of lintel would be best? I understand i'll be needing cavity packing of some kind to bridge the exposed cavity side and bottom?

Next question, with an opening that size I have been told I can get away without supports, would it be best to fit the lintel first then create the opening, unsure of the best order to do this.

With the lintel, is it better to remove the inner blockwork to fit it, or remove the outer course of brick? I'm assuming that removing some blockwork from inside would be easier as block will have to be cut anyway to insert lintel?

So many questions! All advice appreciated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back