fitting a pump to hot water supply query

KRW

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking to fit a pump directly to the hot water supply feed from the hot water cylinder to solve a problem of lack of hot water supply to a recently fitted shower in a bathroom where there wasn't one previously.

My plan is to fit a surrey flange to the cylinder and vent to the header tank the same as it is at present and then fit the pump directly in line to the hot water feed so as to pressurise the household hot water feed system when in use and making use of a showerforce easiboost pump I already have.

I am hoping to be able to plumb this in with readily available jg pushfit parts and pipe from screwfix and with the flange from wickes

question is to you professionals out there is does that sound ok and viable

thanks in advance for replies

cheers, Kieth

Sponsored Links
The idea is to solve the problem with regards to not having enough hot supply to the new shower.

I suspect the shower valve that has been fitted is not up to the job and the simplest way I feel is to pressurise the feed from the cylinder with a pump located in the airing cupboard that will also in effect feed the rest of the house with pressurised hot water, not that its needed but at the end of the day I am thinking wont or shouldn't hurt anything.

Your shower(s) will need balanced supply pressures of both hot and cold water for it to perform properly.

You would be better to fit a twin impellor pump pumping both hot and cold water. The supplies to the pump should originate from the same cold water tank albeit via the HW cylinder for the HW.

Use of a Surrey Flange works OK.

Sponsored Links
Your shower(s) will need balanced supply pressures of both hot and cold water for it to perform properly.

You would be better to fit a twin impellor pump pumping both hot and cold water. The supplies to the pump should originate from the same cold water tank albeit via the HW cylinder for the HW.

Use of a Surrey Flange works OK.

Hi Tipper

Many thanks for your reply,

I initially tried to balance things up by reducing the cold water supply to the shower valve to give the hot water a chance but it reduced the total flow to the shower head to a trickle.

It is not possible to supply the shower with cold supply from the same tank as the refit is completed and shower valve connected to mains supply, not sure what pressure its running at but hope to be able to match it with the aid of the pump.... or at least get a better supply of hot to the valve to have a better chance of balancing it....well that's the theory anyway

With a little bit of re-plumbing and the aid of a surrey valve finally got around to fitting the pump to the hot water supply without interfering with the existing gravity fed shower in the other bathroom.
The problem with lack of hot water supply to the second shower that was fitted a while back is now sorted.

In hindsight and if i had thought on and done my homework before doing the bathroom refit and fitting the second shower with cold mains feed and gravity fed hot supplies i might have considered taping into the other shower feeds that run in the loft but that said it would probably have been a pain with them both in use at the same time so perhaps this problem solved saves that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back