24 Feb 2008
Reaction score
United Kingdom
is a surrey flange at the top of a hot water cylinder ok to use instead of tee-ing off from the hot distribution pipe elsewhere, to feed my shower? or is a surrey flange only really used if a shower pump is being installed?
Sponsored Links
A surrey flange is used to provide two dip tubes into the tank and thus two seperate feeds that do not effect each other. Assuming you have 28mm pipe going from the cold tank to the hot, you can get full flow out of the two connections to the surrey flange. However, if your not using a pump, fitting a surrey flange seems a lot of effort to go to rather than just teeing off the existing hot output from the tank and using a thermostatic shower valve.
ok thanks for your advice. i haven't got a thermo shower, just a normal manual type. but i will just tee off instead!!
Sponsored Links
If non thermo shower I would use the Surrey flange for the hot supply and a dedicated cold from the cold storage tank in the loft to the shower.

This will give a continuously balanced supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local