Fitting a room stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a stat in the hallway since we currently don't have one and the house temperature plummets in the night due to the timer also being inadequate.

Our heating system in our previous house was configured perfectly to provide constant heating and timed water control, with the heating driven off the stat. When we went to bed, we'd set the stat to 18'C allowing the system to remain idle unless the temperature dropped below 18'. Rarely the heating would come on in the night, but when it did it ensured we didn't wake up to a freezing cold house in the morning that requires lots of gas to restore the house to room temperature.

So for me, installing a stat in this house is a no-brainer and will save us money in the long run. However, the current timer control installed at the moment looks pretty old. I am considering installing a wireless stat since that will be easiest with regards to training wiring around the house. Is it trivial to install? I have installed a heating control panel before to existing boiler wiring, but I don't really want to replace the control unit entirely since it still works fine.

I've tried looking for some installation guides, but no luck.

Sponsored Links
Don't know boiler make and model, will have to check at home, it's fairly new.

The control is a Hortsmann Channel Plus Excel. In the garage behind the control is a Honeywell junction box where the cables from the tank thermostat, boiler water/heating and power are wired, presumably before they are connected to the control unit.

My understanding is that there should be an empty connection available within this junction box for me to wire in a room thermostat? I assume the control unit takes the on/off state from the room thermostat to determine if the boiler should be ignited for heating or not?

you could fit a drayton rf 601 wireless model room stat or a drayton programmable type also honeywell make many products which may suit

Sponsored Links
It is fairly easy to install if you are competent when it comes to working on 230V.

The best is Siemens rev24rf, closely followed by Honeywell cmt 927.

And it should go in the lounge, not in the hall.
See FAQ item 12

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back