Room stat and TRV set-up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Now I've got my flashy new boiler installed and all my dodgy old rads have been replaced the house is lovely and warm and all is well. However, I'd like some advice on setting up the room stat.
The stat is a freestanding unit that you can move around the house. I've got it in the downstairs hallway. Its set at 21 degrees but we find that occasionally it gets to that temperature and the heating cuts off, but a couple of the bedrooms are a bit on the cold side.
Is the approach to move the stat around the house and try various locations, or to turn the stat up and control each room through the TRV's?

Many thanks

Stu

Sponsored Links
Can you turn your hallway rad down so this area takes longer to get up to temp? Allowing other areas more time to heat up

The positioning of the room thermostat is critical to the correct operation of the system. It should have overall control of the system, because it will save energy by shutting everything down when the ideal temperature is reached. If you rely solely on the TRV's then the boiler will be cycling unnecessarily and wasting energy. (This boiler interlock facility is also, a requirement of the building regulations)

The room thermostat should be in a room that is not effected by other sources of heat such as an open fire, cooking equipment, electrical appliances that generate heat, or direct sunlight. It should also, not be somewhere drafty or too close to a window, especially if it's one you open in the winter.

Secondly it should be in a cool room, preferably the last to warm up. (I had the same problem as you, so I downsized my hallway radiator to achieve this.)

The radiator in the room with the thermostat should not have a TRV fitted. Otherwise the room thermostat may never switch off.

It's height should be about 1.5 metres from the floor, and not close to, or above a radiator.

Preferably it should not be on an outside wall, (although if you have a new build, with well insulated walls, this is not quite so crucial)

It should be in an area where air can circulate easily, not behind curtains, or furniture.

Sponsored Links
a couple of the bedrooms are a bit on the cold side
Do the rads in those bedrooms feel as warm as other rads? If they don't and the TRV is not set low, the system probably needs balancing, which should have been done when it was installed. Might be worth checking with the installers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back