TRV's installed - how should I set the room stat?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I've just had TRV's fitted to all rads and now need a bit of advice on how to adjust the room stat so that the TRV's work effectively.

The room stat is in the hallway which had 1 rad without a TRV. There are 2 bathrooms, neither with TRV's. All other rads have TRV's - one room has 2 rads (Kitchen)

A number of rooms in my house are used for work storage so they don't need to be kept that warm. Similarly the bedroom (that's what my husband is for! ) :LOL:

The heating is on timed - all day on, and off at night.

I have adjusted the TRV's to about the levels of heat I will want for each, but am unsure how to set the room stat. If this is not calling for heat, then I presume the TRVs won't open? Is this how they work? Does the room stat need to be set higher than I would have had it before?

Is it OK to have two differently set TRV's in the same room?

Hope you can help

Many thanks

SB

Edit - I suppose what I think I'm trying to ask is, does the room stat have to be set at the temp of the highest TRV?

Sponsored Links
The stat will have to be turned up or the heating will go off before the trvs get to do there job
The 2trvs in the same room, its up to you but I cant see any logic in not having them set the same.

Your post is a bit ambiguous. You say in your first sentence: "I've just had TRV's fitted to all rads", then go on to say " There are 2 bathrooms, neither with TRV's."

You should have the room stat in the same area as a non-TRV radiator, i.e. a hall or landing.
Take the TRV head off the hall rad where the room stat is - get TRVs fitted to the 2 bathroom rads.

"......the room stat. If this is not calling for heat, then I presume the TRVs won't open?"
The TRVs will open - they work on ambient temperature, independantly from the room stat and boiler - but the stat will have the boiler and pump switched off, so there will be no hot water being pumped around to heat the rads.

Thanks for the replies. Sorry I should have made it clearer - the rad in the same room as the room stat (hallway) does NOT have TRV, The 2 bathroom rads cannot easily accommodate TRV's (for aesthetic and space reasons).

I think what you are telling me is that I need the stat to be turned up sufficiently so that starts calling for heat when room temp of the room with the highest set TRV drops below it.

I'll get my thermometer out!

Sponsored Links
Dont bother with a thermostat. You can feel comfort temperatures.

The room stat should be set a BIT higher than you might have done previously say 22 C.

Then adjust you hall rad so that its making the hall a little LOWER than 22 C during cold weather like today.

Then set each TRV to give comfort temperatures. On the better ones which I fit, the Drayton TRV4, they should be set between 3 and 4.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back