Fitting a steam bath

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks in advance for the Part "P" reminder.

I am installing a bath which has an integral whirlpool. steam generator and shower. The shower is plumbed into a combi so thats easy.
The steam generator and whirlpool pump each have a 3 pin plug with an in-line RCD.

When we fitted the combi we removed the airing cupboard so I have the feed to the immersion heater free.

Bath is a tight fit so I intend to take both plugs under the floor boards into an adjacent bedroom, run the old immersion feed into same bedroom and fit a new double socket for the bath plugs.

The immersion is not on the RCD cct at the fuse box so am I best taking a feed from one of the other ring main sockets in the bedroom which is on main RCD, or should I be doing something else entirely.

Thanks again

Sponsored Links
RCD would be much better, so use an existing socket circuit, or move the old immersion MCB if you can.

And use a pair of switched FCUs, not a socket...

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Before I got the unit I was expecting to use an FCU, but it came with 2 moulded plugs and in line RCDs so I diddnt want to invalidate guarantee by chopping them off.

The plug is yours - you should not invalidate the guarantee by removing it. If there are integrated RCDs, would they be above the floor?

Sponsored Links
Thats a fair point about the plugs, I will probably run it for a few weeks on the plugs then cut them off and fit FCUs as you suggested.

Yes I will make sure the in line RCDs are accessible, both the fuse box and the in lines are 30mA so it will be interesting to see which trips first, though they both probably will.

Using a socket is no problem.
An FCU has no advantage whatsoever. At least the plugtop will give you a definite visible break when you want to do any service work to the bath.
Just make sure you fit 2amp fuses inside the plugtop.

Sockets aren't a problem - I just think that FCUs are a more elegant solution for non-portable appliances.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back