Fitting a wireless thermostat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We currently have a Vokera Compact 24SE boiler with a Drayton SM1 mechanical timer.

The timer is on the wall next to the boiler and linked with a thick plastic cable which I presume has multiple power/switching wires inside it.

Looking to fit a wireless thermostat instead - would I be able to fit it just with access to the wires within that main cable, or would I need to go back to the connections within the boiler?

Also, the Salus thermostats seem to get good reviews and be really good value - is that a safe bet or should I be going for something else?

Plumber quoted £150 all-in to supply and fit a wireless thermostat so would be a big saving to fit it myself if possib

Sponsored Links
You will need access to the thermostat connection in the boiler as well as a main supply.

If know little of either boiler controls and electrics plus do not have the correct equipment to test the electrical connections are sound, then I would leave it to the pros!
On occasions the the salus RF signal could need to be reset and also the programming of them is often confusing the first time it is set.
So worth having someone at hand, that understand those procedures.

If the SM1 is the only heating control that you presently have, and by that I mean that you don't have an existing room thermostat elsewhere. Then the supply and switching wires that you need will already be inside it as you suspected. You would simply be changing one switching device for another.

The Salus RT500RF, is a very popular programmable thermostat, I have read reports that early models were unreliable, but I haven't heard this for some time, and there are lots out there now. I've had one for 2 years just for the electric heating in my conservatory without any problems. Although it did take me a while to get familiar with changing the settings.

If you do get one, I strongly recommend that you change the operating frequency from the factory set one. I have come across two installations where the heating in a property was being switched on by the thermostat next door because they were operating on the same frequency.

Sponsored Links
There's a thermostat in the hall, wired from the Drayton box as far as I can tell. Not going to try it though, think Derry's right.

Presume a plumber would be able to fit one, as we have some other pipework to do. In Scotland if it makes a difference to electric regs.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back