Fitting all radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Two years ago we had a combi boiler and a single radiator fitted, with the plan of replacing all our storage heaters with radiators in time.

The time is approaching, and I'd like to fit all the radiators myself. I have done a fair bit of plumbing and recently discovered speedfit and used it for completely replumbing our bathroom.

I assume that it's no different to fitting one extra radiator except that its more work and I need to consider how the pipework balances the flow.

The rad we have is on 15mm pipe reduced from 22mm.

Should I tee off from the 22mm pipe with two more 22mm pipes and take these into the first floor (the logical route) then split into two 15mm pipes for roughly half the radiators each?

I want to make the job as easy as possible, do I need much more than:

Radiators
Pipe
Speedfit t's and elbows
Pair of TRVs + Ordinary valves for each radiator
Fernox

Pipes clips & other fixings.

Would plastic or copper pipe be best? Plastic appeals as I have to navigate some 'interesting" routes where a straight run of copper will be challenging.

Finally we have a Main condensing combi boiler - how easy is it to fit a remote thermostat kit instead of the timer?

TIA

Neil

Sponsored Links
Sounds like the right approach.

Try and have no more than 6Kw of radiators on a run of 15mm.
Make sure you use barrier pipe if going plastic. Otherwise you'll end up with oxygen in the system rotting things.
You probably already know it, but don't forget the pipe inserts for the plastic.
If your coming up from the floor to the radiator tails, copper looks much better (in my opinion) than plastic.

Good luck

To my shame I didn't know about plastic inserts or barrier pipe!

The thermostat links are useful too.

I was just going to buy the high-temp 'suitable for central heating' fittings and pipe.

Thanks

Neil

Sponsored Links
LOL! Used copper for the bathroom, plastic would have let me leave out ten elbows to get from downstairs loo, through first floor loft into bathroom. Long story...

Neil

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back