Fitting aluminium bi-folds

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First time fitting these, but have done a few windows in the past.

They're 3.2m, 2 sashes and 1 door so hopefully fairly manageable. They run on a track at the bottom.

Instructions aren't great (I think intended for trade), they say place cill on brickwork and level, put frame on top, fix all round, square up etc.

I have a few questions:

do I bed the cill on silicone and screw to brickwork?

what size self tappers to fix frame to cill?

what fixings for sides and head? I prefer screws and plugs to hammer fixings as my bricks seem to crack if you just look at them, even if it means having the frame in and out, I can take my time with the hammer drill rather than the SDS, or is there a better way, maybe those self cutting screws? my main concern is the finish inside the frame, I presume you go through the thermal break, do you countersink it so it looks neat or fit caps? Head is a lintel and I generally drill an 8mm hole through steel, then masonry and use a normal plug and screw.

I have 20mm spare on the height, I'd like to pack it as high as possible so could I pack 15mm under and have a 5mm gap on top?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

IMG_20210709_161232353.jpg

IMG_20210709_164515007_HDR.jpg

Sponsored Links
If I didn't think I was going to get a good fixing in the cill I would glue it with some polymer based product (Geocell 201) or similar and let it cure, I would then offer the frame up and once I was happy foam it all round and put fixings in when cured. Making sure the frame can't move while the frame is curing.

I got the doors in without too much trouble, fixed with brown plugs and stainless steel screws and then foamed, cill sat on 16mm fascia board that I had and raised it to the correct height. Had a real struggle with the glazing gaskets till I packed the beads out and made a "tool" to push them in, and gave them a good spray with Mr sheen.

Unfortunately I didn't get enough glazing gasket! I've emailed the company I got the doors from but I bought them years ago. I just wonder if anyone can identify it? It's about 13mm across, I think the door profile is P-06-100 and the bead AW513.

Thanks.

IMG_20210717_122031121_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210717_123120699~2.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back