1. Visiting from the US? Why not try DIYnot.US instead? Click here to continue to DIYnot.US.
    Dismiss Notice

Fitting aluminium bi-folds

Discussion in 'Windows and Doors' started by cdbe, 9 Jul 2021.

1. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    First time fitting these, but have done a few windows in the past.

They're 3.2m, 2 sashes and 1 door so hopefully fairly manageable. They run on a track at the bottom.

Instructions aren't great (I think intended for trade), they say place cill on brickwork and level, put frame on top, fix all round, square up etc.

I have a few questions:

do I bed the cill on silicone and screw to brickwork?

what size self tappers to fix frame to cill?

what fixings for sides and head? I prefer screws and plugs to hammer fixings as my bricks seem to crack if you just look at them, even if it means having the frame in and out, I can take my time with the hammer drill rather than the SDS, or is there a better way, maybe those self cutting screws? my main concern is the finish inside the frame, I presume you go through the thermal break, do you countersink it so it looks neat or fit caps? Head is a lintel and I generally drill an 8mm hole through steel, then masonry and use a normal plug and screw.

I have 20mm spare on the height, I'd like to pack it as high as possible so could I pack 15mm under and have a 5mm gap on top?

Thanks for any advice or suggestions.

IMG_20210709_161232353.jpg

IMG_20210709_164515007_HDR.jpg

2. Sponsored Links
  3. catlad

catlad

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    If I didn't think I was going to get a good fixing in the cill I would glue it with some polymer based product (Geocell 201) or similar and let it cure, I would then offer the frame up and once I was happy foam it all round and put fixings in when cured. Making sure the frame can't move while the frame is curing.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. cdbe

cdbe

Thanks Received:
    United Kingdom
    I got the doors in without too much trouble, fixed with brown plugs and stainless steel screws and then foamed, cill sat on 16mm fascia board that I had and raised it to the correct height. Had a real struggle with the glazing gaskets till I packed the beads out and made a "tool" to push them in, and gave them a good spray with Mr sheen.

Unfortunately I didn't get enough glazing gasket! I've emailed the company I got the doors from but I bought them years ago. I just wonder if anyone can identify it? It's about 13mm across, I think the door profile is P-06-100 and the bead AW513.

Thanks.

IMG_20210717_122031121_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210717_123120699~2.jpg