Fitting wooden external door frame without drilling through it

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Want to fit a new door & frame (pre-hung)
The frame is wood with cill etc.

The are weather seals routed into the frame and I didn't fancy drilling and screwing through the frame... it's factory painted too.

Is an acceptable method to screw sturdy plate/flat brackets to the sides of the frame, slide into the opening, then fix the brackets into the inner brick skin with concrete screws?

I'm thinking of cutting these down.

https://www.toolstation.com/shop/Co...Metalwork/sd2797/Heavy+Duty+Strap+Flat/p50096

Just wondered if those in the know can see any issues, or a better way.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Being factory painted, it suggests there should be a fixing kit supplied with the door frame, or at least fitting instructions. Get in touuch with the suppliers, or the manufacturers.

2nd hand purchase, so not possible.
Upon inspection though, there have been fixings on the sides of the frame before.

These are the type of fixings for some windows I've got, so thought I could use a similar, albeit heavier duty method.
http://www.framefix.co.uk/shop/

Sponsored Links
I don't know how these are fitted, but none of those brackets look right. You need an angle bracket fixed to the back of the frame, and then hack out the plaster where it's going to go, push the frame into place, fix the angle bracket into the wall and then plaster over it. The fill any gaps between the frame and the wall with cement. I'd suggest at least 2 bracket either side.

It's also possible that it's designed for a wooden wall, where you'd screw into it from behind.

Apologies, I posted the link just to illustrate my DIY idea... those fixings are for windows, but it was just the idea I wanted to get over.:cautious:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back