Fitting an airbrick

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have recently bought a house with a raised concrete yard which is above the DPC, if it has one, and also no air bricks to the rear. Could I fit an air brick above the ground level outside and just knock a brick out below the floor level inside. It has cavity walls.

Sponsored Links
moose said:
I have recently bought a house with a raised concrete yard which is above the DPC, if it has one, and also no air bricks to the rear. Could I fit an air brick above the ground level outside and just knock a brick out below the floor level inside. It has cavity walls.

Maybe, but far from ideal.

A friend of mine had similar problem with a house he did up last year. He used a 12" stihl saw to cut away a channel a few inches wide where concrete meets house walls. This exposed the old air bricks. Then he just made sure the channel was connected the the outside drain so that water wouldn't collect in the channel.

moose said:

what makes you think you need an air brick?

Sponsored Links
I removed some damp plaster in the corner of the room, both outside walls, the brick work was damp but it dried out a few days after plaster was taken off. Since replastering and wallpapering the corner is wet again. The room is unused at the moment and there is no heating on. Could be penatrating from outside but it seems to make no differance if its been raining or sunny and all guttering clear etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back