Fitting an RCB/RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have just had an extension built on a 1930s property and have lived in the property for a year and had been advised that the house was rewired in the last 10 years.

When the electrician came to give us the electrical testing certificate he could not give one saying the house isn't earthed properly. He has advised that an RCB is required along with an earthing rod.

I am a very inexperienced DIYER and I am on a learning curve can anyone help with advice about the above and how much we can expect to pay to have one fitted.

Please help

Cheers

Paul..

Sponsored Links
davman said:
When the electrician came to give us the electrical testing certificate he could not give one saying the house isn't earthed properly. He has advised that an RCB is required along with an earthing rod.

Did he also advise that you may be able to get the supply upgraded to include a supplier's earth (much more reliable than a rod)? Go to this website: http://www.energynetworks.org and get in touch with your DNO (District Network Operator) They will be able to tell you if they can upgrade you to 'PME' and how much it will cost. This is usually a nominal fee.

I am a very inexperienced DIYER and I am on a learning curve can anyone help with advice about the above and how much we can expect to pay to have one fitted.

Don't even think about doing any of this yourself. As for price it's impossible to say without being on the spot, really. But it will be a lot cheaper to go the DNO route, if you can. (You will then need an electrician to connect your new earth to your main earth terminal and test it.)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back