fitting glass

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I know this probably sounds a daft question, but here goes. I have got my new double glazed sealed units but do I remove the black tape from around them before installation. Is it just to prevent damage during transit or is it actually part of the unit.

Sorry if this sound daft

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I might be wrong but, I have always understood that the tape is there as a protection when the panels are being handled. The edges of the two panes of glass are very sharp and could cause serious injury if not protected. However, any material which will cushion the edges of the panel, when it beds down onto the setting blocks, should, I think, be a good thing and, in my opinion, the tape should not be removed.

This is a bit of a contentious (spelling??) area.
The tape is only there to aid handling and forms no sealing whatsoever.
The 2 part or butyl sealant is what prevents any moisture ingress.
The tape, you will notice is a fabric type tape which if comes in contact with moisture, will retain the moisture and may cause units to break down through moisture ingress. Granted, those units would have to be made pretty poorly and as units should now be manufactured to EN1279 it is unlikely that will happen. However there are still people making units in small sheds (probably using 2 panes of float glass :rolleyes: ) so really the choice is yours.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back