Fitting Handrail on Balustrade

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.

I am fitting a new balustrade in my house. The newell posts and base rails are in and the landing balustrade is complete - I just have to do the handrail and balusters on the diagonal part of the stairs.

My question is how is the best/easiest way to join the handrail to the newell posts at either end? On the landing I used fixings supplied with the 90 degree bend part I had - but it was awkward and the finished result was not what I had hoped for either in appearance or stength.

I do not have a bracket fix system - just a pine rail and pine newells. Newells are already fixed so dont really want to loosen them although this is not impossible (for the bottom one at least)

Shouls I dowel and glue? are there any other tricks?

Any advice appreciated!

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
you need to choose your fixing system before you secure BOTH posts
you can just about dowel 1 end in but not the other if they are secured

i always do a mortice and tennon but then i have a morticer and a slider[pull saw] ;)

oops!

I can remove the bottom post. I realise it may not be the best job but I just need to fix it securely. What about drilling halfway through the newell (it is a square stop chamfer post) with a 10mm bit and then screwing from there into the rail and then filling, sanding and painting the drill hole?

if your mortising then i can help you
if you are using a fixing system choose a fixing system preferably one that will adapt to posts already fixed in lol and then get back to us what system you have chosen ;)

Sponsored Links
Cutting mortise and tenons takes ages and i've never bothered. i've just installed and how I space spindles. But the handrail is easy to fix. I cut two spindles to length and clamp one to the post at the top and one at the bottom. These help me hold the handrail in position and I also know the handrail is the right length when it sits perfectly on top of the them.
I generally glue each end and pin it with my finish nailgun to hole it in position. Remove the spindles and screw the bottom up with a 100mm wood screw, where it will be covered by the infill strip. You can get an excellent fixing there and put 2 screws in if you want.
The top I screw through the back of the newel again with a 100mm wood screw. I use a 12mm auger though to drill a 10/15mm deep hole that I fill with a wood pellet cut from an offcut of post/spindle/handrail for an exact colour match. There are draw dowels on staircases and pellets resemble them and don't look out of place, more like a feature. Make sure you drill them in the center of the post.

nice web site,why does it seem to have an american twang to it though?.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back