Fitting IKEA Faktum units when I have pipes along the walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
:?: I am fitting a kitchen for the first time and have gone out and bought IKEA FAKTUM cabinets etc.

The problem I have is that down both the walls (it'll be an L shaped kitchen) I have some piping - waste pipes etc. - that are c.10cm off the walls.

Now, the probem is that IKEA don't put a void in the back of their cabinets, so I need to try & find a way to accomodate these pipes.

There would seem to be 2 potential solutions, but I don't know which is best. Do I...

(a) Put a 10cm batten along the wall to attach the units? If I do this will I be able to get a suitable work top? or..

(b) Cut the backs of the units

Any help would be much (!) appreviated.

Sponsored Links
I know it's not easy writing on this forum to explains,I'm still not quite sure what you're saying.A photo or drawing would be great if you can.

Are you aware that 10cm is 4" ? Is this waste pipe a soil vent pipe, 110mm in dia? Is the pipe horizontal or vertical ? Is the pipe effecting the base unit,wall unit or both etc?

I don't mind helping but I don't want to give you the wrong information.

I have got some photos i can e-mail, but can't upload the to the internet at the mo'. What's your e-mail & i'll send them.

DIYnot said:
you can email the photo to [email protected] and I can put it on here and send you the link so you can incorporate it / refer to it in a thread.
They will put it on here for you,best to put it on here for others to see if they can help.

Sponsored Links
Right - after much effort I've got some pictures for you! They should show you roughly what I'm on about:

PICT1215%20copy.jpg

PICT1214%20copy.jpg

PICT1213%20copy.jpg

I don't think I can do too much about the wastepipe (which is 40mm diameter) as the bottom sections (that were attached to the old kitchen) are all glued in. Any ideas abot this would be helpful too!

That new plasterwork looks nice and flat, perhaps you could just trade with a kitchen fitter: you skim all his walls if he fits your cabinets! :p

Think outside the box people! :rolleyes:

Thanks for the pictures,make it a lot easier.

Where your waste is sticking out 10cm,I would cut the elbow off or renew the whole waste pipe in the wall,then put a hole into your new base unit at that level with a new elbow and go on from there.Even the elbow is glued you can still cut it carefully with a junior hacksaw to split it open then sand down the glue of the pipe.Also I would try and tidy up your water pipe work more neater from the bottom say about 6" of the ground and approx 4" away from the wall with 2 new ballvalves close together then fit your base unit over it then you can pipe it up to where you want.

Don't forget to reconnect the earth bond.

when I have installed kitchens in the past I have fed the water and waste pipes in to the units through holes cut in the unit back/base in the approproate place. With the use of modern (and use good quality) push fittings you can do this and only need a single, nice hole for each pipe. Then you can make all of the connections inside of the unit as required. Just make sure all is water tight as these units really don't like water as the carcasses will begin to swell if wet. One of the things I found annoying when I installed an Ikea sink was that the connections on the waste was nightmare to connect to the standard fittings and I ended up binning it and getting and identical part with standard fitting from wickes. Worth checking this before you start

when i have fitted IKEA kitchens i have had the same problem as ikea for some reason think pipes dont run at back of the units

i would alter your pipe work make it run under units to where you need it then when u want to come up with you hot and cold just put a false back in the unit so its all hidden ie put a bit of 2x1 each side and cut the hardboard back down to fit inside the unit

same with your waste pipe

i would not batten the wall down as this could cause you a few problems as you would need wider worktop and you side panels might not be big enough to cover the gap

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back