Advice on fitting a boss to waste pipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I'm fitting an Ikea kitchen. The cabinets have not service gap at the back so I was hoping to move the 40mm waste pipe down as close to the floor as possible. I was looking to drill and fit a boss just below the small notch that sticks out the soil pipe. Is this possible?

View media item 73895
Just to give you an idea, you are looking at the back of this type of fitting which come from the toilet at the other side of the wall.

View media item 73896
Cheers.

Sponsored Links
No, it's in the 'no go zone' opposite the toilet branch, if you put a boss there it'll get blocked up with turds

That makes sense - never though of that. Does the same apply if I use the pre formed boss that's already in the side of the tee? Or is the whole fitting a no go zone? Thanks for your help.

The one on the side will be fine, that's what it's there for. You'll need to know the manufacturer though as not all bosses are the same outside diameter

Sponsored Links
Brilliant, I've had a look and it's Polypipe. I'll track down an adaptor and go in that way. Thanks for your help, glad I asked now!

When you're drilling the boss fitting out, use the pilot first then add the holesaw, if you try to do it all in one go and the pilot snatches you'll shatter the tee, then you'll have a huge job on your hands

When you're drilling the boss fitting out, use the pilot first then add the holesaw, if you try to do it all in one go and the pilot snatches you'll shatter the tee, then you'll have a huge job on your hands

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back