Soil Pipe Diameter - Boss Strap

I would however be very cautious attempting to cut the pitch fibre, not seen much of it, but I believe it can be very fragile and may collapse soon as any pressure is applied. :eek:

A valid point. I have never cut any old pitch fibre, I would suggest a gentle attack with a fine tooth saw. take the time on it. Cut off the PVC pipe above first so you are only removing a stub of pipe.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your help. We got the adapter fitted last night.

The pitch fibre was really difficult to cut through! I wouldn't say it was particularly fragile, though. It's thick and has the consistency of really dense rubber. I ended up cutting out a section of the plastic pipe above, then removing the collar and drilling a series of holes around the pitch fibre pipe with a wide bit, then linking the holes up and pulling the section of pitch fibre out. I think the job looks neat enough :D

However, while I was working I felt a couple of drips from above :evil:. Further investigation exposed this as the culprit:

It's the waste pipe from the upstairs shower. There were lots of water marks running down the soil pipe so I think it's been leaking for years.

The joint on the right hand side of this section of pipe (out of shot) is definitely push-fit and doesn't seem to be leaking. The joint on the left, where it meets up with the boss, is the dodgy one. The pipe spins pretty freely in this joint.

Do you think the gunk on the pipe is solvent cement or just limescale from the leak? Any ideas about the easiest way to fix it? I don't really want to pull the pipe all the way out in case I disturb other push-fit joints further along the run under the tiled bathroom floor... I was thinking maybe to pull the pipe out a little and seal around it with solvent cement?

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
It appears to be badly aligned so no matter what you do it may leak again.

There are options such as cutting the waste pipe withdrawing the pipe from the boss to see if it can be cleaned up and remade. Use a universal compression coupler to repair your cut. (remove the inner stop from a standard coupler to make it a slip coupler!).

Alternatively fit a couple of bends on the old waste to drop down to a new strap boss properly aligned and cap off the old connection. Use 45 bends if you can.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back