Fitting Ikea kitchen - couple of questions please?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi again,

I'm designing an Ikea galley kitchen for our house.

1. Covering the boiler - the boiler stands from the ceiling 2490mm down 1200mm (inc. pipes). We'd like to put a full height unit over it so we can make use of the storage underneath. However, the height would mean only 10-15mm to play at the top of the cabinet (for opening door) and I'd have to modify the cupboard to ensure it's sufficiently supported and stable. Easy access to the top of the cupboard is critical as the Magnaclean pushes into the ceiling void. Does this sound doable or is there something I'm missing? I know the Ikea legs can be dropped from 80mm to 70mm, so that gives a little more wiggle room.

2. What distance is 'really' needed at the ends of each run of cabinets? I ask because we can get a perfect run with our preferred 800mm cabinets (x3) plus 600mm Oven cabinet and 600mm larder. However, this only leaves us with 12mm at one end and 47mm at the other, where the free standing fridge is going. Is 12mm too small a gap? The unit at that end will be a 2 x 800mm drawer.

3. Under worktop appliances - what minimum distance should we have between our under unit appliances (washer and dryer) and should there be a end panel between the 2, for either aesthetic or support purposes?

Hoping to get the kitchen plan finished tomorrow so the order can go in!

Thanks in advance.

G

Sponsored Links
End of run finishing with drawers or handless doors should be ok .
Dividing panel is desirable for support especially if using thin worktop 5-10mm gap should be ok .
Difficult to comment on boiler , need photo and accurate dimension of boiler and cupboard.

hope this makes it clearer. The graphic is what we'd like to achieve, a 2 door cupboard which allows to keep the boiler closed when not needed. Also disguising the space above the boiler and the magna clean, whilst allowing access when needed.
Am I right then on planning a minimum distance of 25mm between appliances and adjacent appliances or cabinets/walls?
Thanks again, this place is invaluable!

Attachments

• boiler image.jpg
    boiler image.jpg
    221.6 KB · Views: 62
  • boiler cabinet.jpg
    boiler cabinet.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 84
You can use an infill section to hide pipes to right . The cupboard will be short of the ceiling but you can make up a U section to sit on top , set back slightly, to take it up to ceiling height .Can be kitchen panel to match or mdf or plasterboard on frame painted to match walls .

Sponsored Links
Thanks Foxhole.

I would really like the 3 tall cabinets to be full height (boiler, larder & oven). However, if I were to do this, I would only have about 10mm height to play with on either side of the kitchen. Would this be something that you'd consider too risky? I know it won't be that easy, but aesthetically it will look much better.
I've been searching online to find Ikea compatible legs that goto 60mm, 10mm lower than the Ikea Metod legs. Any ideas?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back