Worktop with majority under-counter appliances

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our current kitchen plan involves a run of fridge, freezer, sink cabinet, then washing machine, all under-counter and integrated (See attached image)

This means that the countertop will mainly rest on the single sink cabinet.

To the far right there will be boxed in pipes with a spacer piece on front, and here we can use the wall to get this side really sturdy.

Ikea cabinets are quite deep, so behind the appliances there will be about 5cm free, so a baton can run along the wall for extra support.

So I guess the crux of the question is how best do we secure the left side cabinet cover panel without a carcass and maximise support of the worktop front?

Also, please say if you think this is a bad idea for any reason. We could place an appliance on the other wall along with the oven, but we would loose the symmetry of that run.

Attachments

• Appliances with names.jpg
    Appliances with names.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 259
Sponsored Links
Intergrated appliance require a carcass, or do you mean built under appliances? In which case you could add a panel between the f and f.
What work top are you using?
You seem to have boxing behind the washing machine, this will push wm out as they require around 600 depth.

Under-counter fridge's & freezers and washing machines do not go into a carcass, they are the same width as a carcass but go down to floor level, so they wouldn't fit. A door is just attached to the appliance itself.

I think we'll be going for a standard laminate worktop, so it'll be about 3cm thick, not sure on the substrate, I guess they're usually particle board or MDF, either way we'll be able to screw into it, and it won't weigh a tonne.

The boxing is actually more pronounced above cabinet height to allow for the flue and some plug sockets, below cabinet is only about 5cm deep for copper pipes, so a 54cm deep washing machine might just about fit with Ikeas 60cm deep cabinets, so my question assumes that the spacing is sufficient.

Last edited:
The left hand panel would be secured to the top/ floor and wall.

You said .”A door is just attached to the appliance itself”
Then what is it going to close onto?

Sponsored Links
A panel between fridge and freezer might work, with the worktop built out if additional room is needed for panel.

Blup

Built in appliances are usually slightly narrower than standard to allow for inter panels to allow the doors to close against.
I would also consider a 38mm worktop to give it more rigidity over a 30mm one.

So you will have:
Panel, Fridge, Freezer, Cupboard, WM, Wall

Longest unsuported run is 1200mm, and even that can have support at the back. I think it should be fine.

I think the boxing behind the W/M may be a bigger issue.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back