Worktop support panel: what to buy

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am fitting an Ikea kitchen. In one spot there will be an integrated washing machine next to an integrated dishwasher, with no units either side. I think the best way to support the worktop over these two appliances is to have two worktop end panels on either side and a worktop support panel between them.

The problem is Ikea doesn't do end support panels or worktop support panels. So I have purchased a cover panel for the tall cabinet to cut in half to use on the ends. I could putchase another one and use half of it inbetween, but is there anything else I can use?

I've tried googling "worktop support panels" and "haffits" to try and find some kind of generic panel, but with no luck What do people usually do, buy some kind of sheet material or timber panel and cut it to size?

I live near a b and q and a screwfix and miles from an Ikea so I am hoping not to have to go out to Ikea again. Not just laziness on my part as I don't drive due to disability and would need to ask a favour off a friend, easier for them to say yes if it's just a quick trip to b and q or a local timber yard.

thanks in anticipation

Sponsored Links
It shouldnt be a big problem to find an end panel just abit of shopping around if it doesnt show a piece 18mm ply will do fix in with small L shaped expansion brakets or corner blocks if there's enough room. screwfix do end panels 600mmx890mm

The peices either side willdefinitely show. The one in the middle, I don't know if it will till it's fitted. I am getting birch veneer doors, so maybe a piece of birch ply between the dishwasher and washing machine would work well.

Is ply better than mdf or other fibreboard?

ply is better than mdf in a humid area, how much of the end panel shows,if its just the front edge a strip of beech veneer would do the job

Sponsored Links
ply is better than mdf in a humid area, how much of the end panel shows,if its just the front edge a strip of beech veneer would do the job

the Ikea cover panel is particleboard with a front of birch veneer, so I wonder if I would be better off with birch ply for the end panles. On the panel between the two appliances only the front edge will show

I don't think birch ply will be as decrotive finish like ikea finish infact it doesnt finish well atall and is also not very durable in a humid environment when I said ply I should have been more specific I meant exterior ply

I don't think birch ply will be as decrotive finish like ikea finish infact it doesnt finish well atall and is also not very durable in a humid environment when I said ply I should have been more specific I meant exterior ply

thank you, you have been very helpful and informative. I think I will use the Ikea cover panel for the ends and a piece of exterior ply for the middle support.

In the house where we live now, the washing machine and the dishwasher are next to each other without any supporting panels between them. There are cabinets on both sides. The appliances are standard width, about 60 cm each. Haven't experienced any problems with the worktop.

In the house where we live now, the washing machine and the dishwasher are next to each other without any supporting panels between them. There are cabinets on both sides. The appliances are standard width, about 60 cm each. Haven't experienced any problems with the worktop.

That was my original idea just to support them on either side, but was advised against.

I had another throught that I might at some point want to change the doors in my kitchen and so thought it might be better to use ply for the actual support panels and then attach Ikea cover panels for base units with a plynth below

You could use a chrome pole between appliances, supports top and takes very little space.

"OOOOOh"IF this is chipboard worktop with 1200 span I think you are pushing at the boundaries of the known universe. Chip board worktops; not a medium not known for its' sheer strrength. Probably not even MR rated in a humid environment, and what if your really fat mate comes round for coffee and takes the weight of his legs whilst putting the world to rights and busts it?

You could use a chrome pole between appliances, supports top and takes very little space.

the ones I found are all at least 60mm whereas the ply is only 18mm. Plus I'm not sure how it would look to have a chrome pole between two integrated appliances

With cabinets each side a 40mm worktop will span 2 units.

there won't be cabinets either side though, just end support panels

"OOOOOh"IF this is chipboard worktop with 1200 span I think you are pushing at the boundaries of the known universe. Chip board worktops; not a medium not known for its' sheer strrength. Probably not even MR rated in a humid environment, and what if your really fat mate comes round for coffee and takes the weight of his legs whilst putting the world to rights and busts it?

yes it's a laminate worktop, so chipboard yes. It will only be 1050mm because it's a slimline dishwasher. I don't plan on putting anything heavy on it like a big juicer or microwave and I won't be hopping up out of my wheelchair onto it, but still someone else might decide its a great place to sit

so now my plan is plywood panels either side of the dishwasher and washing machine and between, with an Ikea cover panel fixed to the ones on the end, with a birch veneer tape to the front of the middle panel.

I am no expert, but could the side panels be covered only at the front part, using a strip-cut off from the edges of the Ikea cover panel and could the mid panel be made made narrower than the work top ( say 3/4) so that it did not show nor need trimming on the edge---from the remainder?

Economically minded Yorkshire resident

I am no expert, but could the side panels be covered only at the front part, using a strip-cut off from the edges of the Ikea cover panel and could the mid panel be made made narrower than the work top ( say 3/4) so that it did not show nor need trimming on the edge---from the remainder?

Economically minded Yorkshire resident

the side panels will both be seen, the full extent of them, so your idea would not work there, but yes I see what you mean about the middle one being kind of recessed back and not showing

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back