venting build under oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can I have some advice on fitting a built in oven please?

I’m fitting a new kitchen, and I’m wondering about the ventilation for the oven.
It’s an electric Bosch one which we are having fitted under the worktop with the electric hob set in above.
The actual wiring up will be done by the sparks but I’m fitting the cabinets & worktop myself.

The instructions show that the shelf it sits on needs a 20mm cut out at the back for full height or under worktop installation. That’s no problem, as in fact there is a fair bit more than that between the shelf and wall.

The question is, for a full height cabinet a 20mm air gap is required up the back to the top so that heat can pass up a duct to the space above the wall cabinets; however for under worktop no upper ventilation is mentioned.

I’m not sure just how hot a built in electric oven casing will get, so I’m wondering if I ought to provide some extra ventilation behind the appliance.

As the oven unit is next to a recess for a free standing washer dryer I could pop a couple of round Soffit vents in the side panel to vent into the space around the washer.

Or I could make a couple of holes through the unit the other side which is a corner one with a corner wall unit above. As a 22mm copper gas supply and cable runs up behind them the gap between worktop and wall units will have boxing across it effectively forming a duct open each end from just below the worktop to above the wall units.

As gas supplies and cables are often run to the back of ovens I don’t suppose the heat would be a problem, but it sort of goes against the grain to do it by that route!

What do you normally do in these cases?

Regards footprints.

Sponsored Links
The top facia on ovens is normally a vent for the hot air, and usually sit on a timber either side rather than a shelf [oven carcass is normally open without shelf.]

Hi foxhole,
Thank you for your reply, I checked the instructions and they do specify a solid shelf with a 500 x 20mm cut out at the back. (the unit also has an under oven drawer) I checked under the oven, and it doesn't seem to have any vents on the underside.

I found what I imagine is the vent you mentioned o/k between the top of the door and the control panel.

Do you think perhaps the venting behind full height units may simply be to prevent foods etc stored in the cupboard above from drying out?

Best wishes,
footprints

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back