Kitchen queries

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Looking to replace the kitchen - the new one will be a slightly different size.

1) What do you do if the standard kitchen cabinet sizes you want do not fill an entire run? How do you fill the gap? One way I can think of is to have a freestanding cooker

2) If I want a hob and built under oven I understand that my worktop will need to be of a certain thickness - should the hob be sticking out from under the worktop? some of the hobs are quite think 5cm+ - obviously most worktops are not.

so in that case woudl the oven not fit under properly?

3) I want some full height units and want to put a fridge in one and a freezer in anothr next to it. i believe i need to get some handles that will fit on the door specific to my design but can i choose how high up the cupboard the fridge/freezer goes or aret hey usually set? and then you need to find to something to go with the sapce above and below

4) i suppose you just put the frize and freezer into the unit - but where do they ventilate - in the space behind?

hope that makes sense

if anyone knows a good guide for all this please let me know!

Sponsored Links
Freestanding cooker needs a 60cm gap so don't understand your reasoning?
units sizes leave a gap of no more than 100mm so any small gap can be filled with infill panel.
Hobs should fit above any oven as they allow space for that purpose.
Cup's are not deep enough for free standing f/f you will need built under or built in f/f and they come with fittings for doors.

My post probably wasn't the clearest

1 - lets say your kitchen is 130cm and you buy enough units to fill 120cm - what do you do with the extra 10cm of space? Just use filler materials (obvious this is a simplyfied example).

One way to utilise that space is by having a freestanding cooker which allows you to leave spaxce but I have decided I want inbuilt so ignore that now

I believe you are saying i should be able to buy enough combinations ofunits to end up with a small gap - which i then use a panel for - this is what i thought

2) been watching some videos on youtube hwich say make sure the oven fits underneath incase the hob comes down too low - so wasn't sure if they are all designed to interchange

3) yes i mean built in fridge freezer. i am guessing a cupboard is 60cm deep and the fride/freezer will be less and that wil laccount for ventilation room even if the cupboard is flushto the wall or do you need to put extra holes in the cupboards for extra ventilation?

you can get f/f of various sizes, some you might wnat on the floor of a big cupboard but others you might want in the middle - just not sure how cuztomisable the cupboards are to allow for this.

The tower unit will accomodate a variety of layouts, so f/f should fit without problem.
You should not have a final gap larger than 100mm with the cheaper unit as they are made in multiples of 100mm , more expensive unit come with door sizes in multiple of 50mm so e.g they come in 350mm-450mm etc.as well as the usual 400mm-500mm.etc. So depending on which you buy the excess can be kept to less than 50mm.
Cup'd are around 570mm deep to allow overhang of door [another 20mm so 570+20 =590 with 10mm overhang] by the worktop at 600mm.

Sponsored Links
Why don't you just get B&Q to come out and do a design for you free of charge then use their plan as a guide.

Why don't you just get B&Q to come out and do a design for you free of charge then use their plan as a guide.
Probably because they will try and sell you more units than will fit in your kitchen , I fitted a kitchen for a friend and they ended up with an extra two units with B&Q designers. :(

I have measured up - in a particular run I can get 4x 60cm wide cabinets and then I sort of end up with 15cm- so I can consider a wider cupboard or use filler of somesort.

Leave a little space at either end to give door room to open fully, especially if you have big knobs. :p

Can I check some other stuff

1) are the units that take the sink different from the normal base units?

2) I am going for a built under oven - I udnerstand that these don't need units - you just leave an exact 60cm gap. Is that right?

3) I am going to go for a solid top (but not granite) worktop - I read somewhere that isntead of having a drainer you can drill slopes into the sink so save having a seperate drainer - whilst this makes sense is it common/expensive?

4) Are 'tall' units that you put fridges and ovens in different from the mega tall larder type units? I want to put my fridge into the tallest type of unit and then have storage below and under.

I have measured up - in a particular run I can get 4x 60cm wide cabinets and then I sort of end up with 15cm- so I can consider a wider cupboard or use filler of somesort.

Howdens do a 150mm wine rack. Other suppliers might too. Not cheap though unless you know someone who gets a decent discount.

Alternatively, use end panels either side of each base unit (cut notches out the bottom for a continuous plinth)... 4 units would be 5 panels. 5 panels X 18mm is 90mm, so would still leave 60mm.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back