Siting a gas oven on a wooden plinth

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, apologies in advance for doubling posting - wasn't sure whether to put this question in woodwork or appliances...

I am rebuilding my kitchen and have now replaced kitchen cabinets and the worktops. I have recently purchased a new gas oven which fits inbetween two cabinets in a gap in the worktop (not a built in oven, it slots into the gap I left).

Slight problem is that the top of the oven is a couple of cm lower than the tops of the adjacent worktops.

I want to increase the height of the oven a little, maybe an inch or two max. THis is beyond what the adjustable feet are capabel of.

I am thinking of building a square wooden plinth, probably made out of sturdy battening and hardboard and glossed white to match the adjacent cabinets. The plinth would be an inch or two in height and width & depth sufficient to fit under the oven.

Does this sound like a reasonable solution or are there any reasons why I shouldn't do this (health & safety, fire hazard, regulatory, etc...?)

If its not a good idea, any alternative suggestions would be gratefully recieved (please dont say lower the worktops!)

Thanks
Tom

Sponsored Links
There are no issues that I can think of regarding putting a gas or electric oven on a wooden plinth. Lots of properties have combustible floors and have ovens sitting on them. Just make sure it is nice and solid though and you must be careful about how close the worktop sides are to the sides of the oven. The manufacturers usually require something like 10mm space to a combustible worktop. A solid fuel stove would be another matter.

Nothing sturdy about hardboard?
Two squares of 18mm mdf would be simple and raise it 36mm.
Though you worktops must set too high as cookers usually are tall enough to clear them.You could hide the edges behind pvc window trim [gloss white]

Nothing sturdy about hardboard?
Two squares of 18mm mdf would be simple and raise it 36mm.
Though you worktops must set too high as cookers usually are tall enough to clear them.You could hide the edges behind pvc window trim [gloss white]

Good suggestion Foxhole. Regarding worktop heights, maybe they are a tall family :D

Sponsored Links
Thanks all for the helpful replies.

I am 6 ft 2 inches, but haven't purposefully built higher cabinets!! The ones that were there previously had been hand built by the previous owner, so I just stipped them out and put new 'off the shelf' cabinets in from Wickes and a new worktop. I used the same height as the old cabinets so I didnt have to redo any of the tiling. My new cabinets are within the tolerances of the adjustable legs, but probably towards the 'higher' end of the adjustments.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back