Support for corner double oven

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am planning to install a double oven in the corner of kitchen.

There will be worktops either side, and the oven will be housed in a cabinet. This will obviously mean that there is a void behind the oven, and also a triangular void between the oven and the cabinets each side (concealed under the worktop).

The oven is just over 60kg, and the dimensions are H88.8cm x W59.5cm x D55cm

What would be the best way of supporting the weight of the oven, given that it it not parallel to the wall?

I don't mind losing the storage space under the oven, if the easiest thing is to support it from underneath (rather than with a wall mounted bracket).

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
But will the shelves hold a 60kg double oven, without additional support?

From experience additional support is necessary as the MDF ( chip board ) panel fixings supporting the shelves have minimal strength.

Adding 2" by 1" ( 50 mm by 25 mm ) timber as a load bearing frame screwed to the MDF ensures the oven does not overload the fixings.

0x48.jpg

From experience additional support is necessary as the MDF ( chip board ) panel fixings supporting the shelves have minimal strength.

Adding 2" by 1" ( 50 mm by 25 mm ) timber as a load bearing frame screwed to the MDF ensures the oven does not overload the fixings.

View attachment 154298
Double oven , will fill the cupboard, pic looks like a micro wave? Rarely sits on shelf but on runners screwed to walls of cupboard too provide ventilation.Sometimes brackets are supplied with oven. All the weight is supported at edges so no weight on shelf.

will fill the cupboard, pic looks like a micro wave?

Just a rough sketch of the concept.

Sometimes brackets are supplied with oven. All the weight is supported at edges so no weight on shelf.

In which case the weight at the edges is supported by the fixings holding the brackets to the MDF. It is the MDF around these fixings that has the potential to fail under the weight of the oven.

Edit quoting corrected

Last edited:
You can often just double-up the shelf to get the required strength. If the cabinet is to get decor side panels I'd add additional screws through the sides

Just a rough sketch of the concept.

In which case the weight at the edges is supported by the fixings holding the brackets to the MDF. It is the MDF around these fixings that has the potential to fail under the weight of the oven.

Edit quoting corrected
No mdf involved to fail .

Shelves don’t hold the weight .

Thanks. That's what I thought, but I wasn't sure if any brackets needed to be attached to the wall.

If I understand correctly, the bracket goes around the inside of the mdf side and back panels, transferring the load to those three panels. That instinctively felt too little for such a heavy oven.

I've just found this, which is exactly what I want to do (if you follow the link below, it describe the implementation at the bottom of the page).

https://opunplanner.com/interior-design-tips/kitchen-corner-solutions.php

bGT55ptm.png

2C11hbhm.png

Usually chipboard panels , larder units take fridge freezers which fully loaded weigh 100kg+ without problem.

my appliance cabinet has a thicker oven shelf, supported on much larger fixings, than the shelves intended for cups, saucers, and cornflake packets.

my appliance cabinet has a thicker oven shelf, supported on much larger fixings, than the shelves intended for cups, saucers, and cornflake packets.

My appliance cabinets built with a sturdy shelf for the oven to sit on as well.

Be a very poorly designed unit if they hadn't taken into account weight of the ovens they are made to take.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back