fitting isolation valve to chrome covered copper pipe issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Complete DIY novice here, so dont hold back....

Ive got someone to fit a new electric shower for me and all has gone well except the leak on the isolation valve ont he water feed to the shower. Its a chrome covered copper pipe coming into the valve which then swtiches to a plain copper pipe below the valve and into the shower. The chrome end is the leaky bit. I feel Ive tightened the valve connector as much as Im physically able yet it still has a constant leak - more than just an annoying drip.

Question is, do I have a go at removing the chrome pipe bit and replace with copper pipe (which will be a bit of a pain, but not beyond my wit I think) or do I have the valve off and prepare the chrome pipe bit in a certain way or something that I obviously didnt do first time around.

Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
You should have removed the chrome from the part of the pipe which goes into the fitting.
Dismantle it, get the olive off, and file it down carefully, then reassemble with a copper olive.

Ta, Ill get on it ASAP as I really really need a shower some time soon!

You should have removed the chrome from the part of the pipe which goes into the fitting.
Dismantle it, get the olive off, and file it down carefully, then reassemble with a copper olive.

no need to remove the chrome for a compression fitting, the fitting has been over tightened, undo the nut and apply a couple of wraps of ptfe tape on the front of the olive (sorry Dickie).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back