Fitting LED lights into wall tiles (and more!)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I have been asked to fit small round LED lights into some box type shelving areas in a bathroom plus into the bath panel etc. - all of which are due to be tiled. There is an area below the bath where all the cables will run back to and there are draw wires in place ready for all the lights. An access panel has been made from the adjacent bedroom to give access under the bath once it is tiled for both plumbing and electrics.

Was thinking about how to drill the holes once the tiles are in place as obviously the draw wires could get snagged by the hole saw and so at present think best solution may be to work alongside the tiler and get the tiles pre-drilled before they are bedded in - that way there will be no need to drill where draw wires are in-situ and also will enable me to try and draw each cable through before the tile sets. Does anybody have any experience of this type of job and if so is there a better solution to mine? All ideas welcomed!!

Sponsored Links
You may be better off asking on the TILING FORUM about how to cut the tiles.

Whatever you do, all of the cabling and the lights will need to conform to the requirements for electrical devices in bathrooms and be appropriate for the relavent zones. See //www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:speclcn

Also, you will need to notify the local authority before the work starts, unless you are a registered electrician within the context of Building Regulations Part P.

Thanks to both of you.

Taylortwocities, am registered spark so all bases covered there. Will head on over to tiling and dip my toe in their forum!

OwainDIYer, thanks for your suggestion but unfortunately this customer is very specific in what she wants so I am stuck with my problem unfortunately! I had seen these and thought they looked a better option but hey ho!

Sponsored Links
Cut the tiles BEFORE fitting on the wall. Ensure there are some spare tiles as there are likely to be a few breakages as you drill. ( get the tiler to cut the holes, avoid the responsibility being on you )

Can the chosen lamps be replaced when there is no access to the rear of the tile when fixed to the wall ?

Thanks Bernardgreen, think you have confirmed what I was thinking - and yes will get the tiler to do anything relating to altering the tile itself! The lights will be pushed back into studwork, rather than against solid walls so I am hoping that should there be any problem with a light it will be able to be taken out and replaced. They are the type that come in kits, all run back to a central box where they plug in. I have made customer aware of all possible pitfalls here so hopefully I've covered myself!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back