Fitting new fascias

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit new fascia boards and some of the fixing timbers behind them but the tiles seem to rest on the existing board. Is there any way I can just lift the first row of tiles up safely to get better access? Or will I have to take more off?
:eek:

Sponsored Links
You can try and see if the tiles will simply slide up under the row above but they may be nailed :( What tiles are on your roof :?:

I need to fit new fascia boards and some of the fixing timbers behind them but the tiles seem to rest on the existing board. Is there any way I can just lift the first row of tiles up safely to get better access? Or will I have to take more off?
:eek:

So you mean you want to take the old wood off and renew the little timber noggins that are attached to the rafters? Has the timber fascia dropped a little over time?

Sponsored Links
Can you give us some more detail as to the timber you are replacing :D

Mw -yes that's exactly the job. The facia boards are in poor shape and the noggins also seem loose on the rafters. I noticed when I tried to re- nail a broken soffit vent which is nailed to the noggin as well.
I will either use new timber or go for pvc---but I am more worried about the tiles dropping when I take the existing fascia off.
I'm going to be doing the job alone so I've got to have a bit of a plan---then it can go wrong!! :LOL:

You need to take the tiles off then as some may fall to the ground when the old fascia comes off. It will also give you loads of room for nailing or screwing the new noggins on. The new noggins will be a little higher than the old ones and hanging tiles can get in the way of the builders line. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back