Fitting new metal light switches and sockets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am fitting new light switches it has red, black and earth attached to the back box, is it a case of just red at the top and black in l2? There is what looks like an earth conversion on the inside of the new switch, do I leav the earth were it is ?

Sponsored Links
Hi I am fitting new light switches it has red, black and earth attached to the back box, is it a case of just red at the top and black in l2? There is what looks like an earth conversion on the inside of the new switch, do I leav the earth were it is ?
Traditionally red goes into Com and black into L1.
Note not all switches have the same markings some have Com, L1 and sometimes (for 2 way switches) L2.
Others have L, L1 and sometimes (for two way switches) L2.
If you do have a two way switch then as long as the red goes into the Com or equivalent then the black (with red sleeve) can go into either L1 or L2 or equivalent.
//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting:single_way_lighting
The most important point is that since your switches are metal they must be earthed. You will need to run a sleeved earth cable from the earth lug on the switch to join the earth cable at the rear of the backbox.

So the earth is still attached to the box and a seperate earth wire goes from the box to the switch?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back