Fitting new toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am replacing my toilet with a new low level one.
Unfortunately the bottom edge of the waste outlet is about 1.5" below the soil pipe in the wall. Although I can use a flexible connector the waste water will have to flow upwards. The only solution I can think of is to put the pan on a plinth. Is this the usual solution to this problem or is there a better way?

Sponsored Links
What is the measurement from the centre of your
new WC outlet to the floor ?

What is the measurement from the centre of your soil
pipe to floor at the wall ?

is the soil pipe PVC, Cast Iron or Lead

Moving the soil pipe or making a plinth are about your only options here, wouldn't advise running the waste uphill

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. I think I will try a plinth.
jas05 - because the soil pile slopes upwards into the room, both measurements are 7 inches. This suggests chopping off the soil pile at the wall and fitting a new horizontal pipe would work - however, I think a plinth is easier, and doesn't involve potentailly expensive repairs if I get it wrong!
I have discovered another problem. Using a plinth and a connector, when the pan is as far back as it will go the close fitting cistern is more than an inch from the wall. If I remove the connector, however, and plug the toilet waste directly into the spoil pipe (which appears to be a tough rubber pipe,which then opens into a cast iron drum), not only is the cistern against the wall, but the toilet waste fits very snugly. Would there be any problems with this solution? (NB I would seal the pipes together with plumbers mait of course.

I spose technically that would work, it's a bit of a nasty way of doing things though, can't you just cut the soil pipe back a bit?

A plinth will look awful,

as Muggles was saying

Cut the pipe flush with the wall and use a straight Multikwik on the wc

and a extension Multikwik to suit the cast 3-1/2" or 4"
( might need to cut this down a bit )

have a bit of faith and go for it, you wont mess up....

Thanks for the replies. I think I will try a plinth.
jas05 - because the soil pile slopes upwards into the room, both measurements are 7 inches. This suggests chopping off the soil pile at the wall and fitting a new horizontal pipe would work - however, I think a plinth is easier, and doesn't involve potentailly expensive repairs if I get it wrong!
I have discovered another problem. Using a plinth and a connector, when the pan is as far back as it will go the close fitting cistern is more than an inch from the wall. If I remove the connector, however, and plug the toilet waste directly into the spoil pipe (which appears to be a tough rubber pipe,which then opens into a cast iron drum), not only is the cistern against the wall, but the toilet waste fits very snugly. Would there be any problems with this solution? (NB I would seal the pipes together with plumbers mait of course.

So youre saying its 7" at the wall and 8-1/2" centre to floor at the wc.

the run on that cast pipe would have suited the old style "P" trap toilet
outlet ( 14 deg.) that were fitted years ago.

cut the cast in the wall from inside the pipe a couple of inches the furher the better using a cheap circular diamond tile saw blade
or worn down metal cutting discs centered on a 12mm bolt with washers and nut horsed up tight fitted on a high speed drill chuck,

this way will keep damage to the wall at a minimum

Keep a firm grip of the drill

cut the cast in the wall from inside the pipe a couple of inches the furher the better using a cheap circular diamond tile saw blade
or worn down metal cutting discs centered on a 12mm bolt with washers and nut horsed up tight fitted on a high speed drill chuck,

this way will keep damage to the wall at a minimum

Keep a firm grip of the drill

Keep a phone handy and the front door open to allow easy access for the ambulance crew. :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back