Fitting New Valves

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to fit a new thermo valve and lockshield to my steel radiator. Both have the same type of fittings. I'm going to use the lockshield for this example.

In the photo below:
  • 'A' screws into the radiator and has a tapered rubber washer/buffer.
  • 'B' fits over the pipe and has an olive.
  • 'C' is where both 'A' and 'B' parts join together.

image12.jpeg

Please can you advise me of the following:

1. I think I should attach the parts in the same sequence as their corresponding letter. Do you agree?
  2. Should 'A' use PTFE tape even though it has a rubber washer/buffer? If so how many turns of the tape is recommended?
  3. Should 'A' screw in all the way until the rubber washer/buffer bites?
  4. Should 'B' use PTFE tape and if so how many turns of the tape is recommended?
  5. Should 'C' use PTFE tape and if so how many turns of the tape is recommended?
  6. Should the lockshield's open/closed valve be 'open' or 'closed' during the fitting process?
  7. Finally, I have some new bleed valves that need fitting into the radiator. Should they be screwed in all the way in until their thread runs out? Should they use PTFE tape and if so how many turns of tape?

Is there anything else I should know / any tips?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
1. Yes, correct
2. Depends on how well the radiator has been machined. Personally I'd cut the o-ring off and use Loctite 55 on the threads. Haven't used PTFE on metal threads for years. How much of either you use depends on how tight or loose the fitting is in the radiator. It's a bit of a matter of experience.
3. Depends on how you approach (2.)
4. No. The threads there are to hold the nut in place, they don't provide any sealing function. The olive does that.
5. No. See (4.)
6. Doesn't matter, either is ok. You can even have it half way.
7. Depends on what type they are. A photo would help

If it's those specific ones then yes, L55 will be needed. Be aware though that most modern radiators are 1/2" tappings, and the vents you've linked to are 1/4"

Sponsored Links
I wouldn't call it modern - it's a 60's rad. The link was just an example. The ones I have screw on fine.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back