Fitting of electricity meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I am new to the forum so apologies if I have posted this on the wrong page! I an undertaking a self build project and have reached the stage of electricity conmection. Scottish power are my provider and are due to come and do the first part of the commection next week. They have informed me over the phone that they no longer install the electric meter and that I would have to get this done from another company, although they wouldn't recommend me a company over the phone! Can someone please shed some light on this for me please and let me know what companies will install electric meters for me and possible cost? Gareth

Sponsored Links
Energy suppliers such as EDF or Npower. Cost I think, should be free as you will buying electricity from them.

As above.

Since freedom of the market there are two players in this game.

1. The DNO (Scottish Power in your case). They provide the infrastructure (substations, cables in the road etc) and will provide the supply to your house with a nice big fuse on it.

2. The electricity supplier of your choice. There are lots of these and you'll decide on the one that suits you by going to one of those "compare the market" websites. These are the people who you pay the bill to for the electricity and who are responsible for the supply of the meter.

Note that you may need to provide a certificate about the installation in your new build, from a competent person, before they'll connect up.
You/your electrician need to present them with meter tails and the appropriate sized earth cable so they can connect it into the meter and seal it up.

If they can no longer be arsed to fit a meter what's to stop you connecting the house straight up? :p

Do you just need to purchase a big fuse to install in the holder?

Sponsored Links
Tell you one thing!
All of this will have been explained in the paperwork from SP. In fact I am surprised they are installing a service without a nominated supplier.

One thing they will need is your MPAN number which SP should issue you with

If they can no longer be a***d to fit a meter ...
I suspect that you've got that the wrong way around. Since the break-up, the supplier has a vested interest in the meter, since it's that which determines how much they get paid by consumers. I would therefore expect them to want to specify, own and maintain the meter (rather than get whatever meter the DNO chose to fit - and then maybe 'forget about'), wouldn't you?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back