Electric Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I currently have overhead electric supply. I'm soon to have new fascias on property....this would mean having electric cable removed & I guess replaced onto new fascia????

I would like electric meter moved from inside house to outside. However, due to alot of previous wall renovations and wall ties, I would prefer the meter box to be ground mounted. Is this possible and where do I buy the box from, who needs to install and what do I need to tell the electric company???

Any advice would be good :idea: Karen x

Sponsored Links
Hi Karen tell the Electric Company the same as you have just stated here. You will have to arrange for one of their Surveyors to call out so as you can go over your requirements. Dont think I have ever seen the box mounted at Floor level though...could be a precaution agaist flooding etc !

..One word of advice though contact them ASAP cos they are notoriously slow at processing things........You will probably wait about a month till the surveyor calls out ,then a lot longer for the work to be completed...if they sanction it at all that is.....Oh Yes ! think big money aswell.......sorry to put the mokkers on it but best forewarned .

I don't think you'll be allowed to have the meter box any lower than 600mm off the ground. Then there is the question of how to run the cable from the fascia down to the box. Ask the supply company what they think. If you keep phoning them, things will move along quicker. Also, if your fascias are rotten, they may prioritise your job.

Are you sure you can't have the meter in its current location? It would be a lot cheaper.

One more thing - if you have had a quote for the fascias to be replaced, perhaps you could leave it up to the installers to solve the problem.

Sparkyspike. The Contractors wont be allowed to touch the overhead wiring , and if they do decide to then there could well be one almighty Bang !
I think the Electricity supplier will only deal with the person who is registered to the meter...I.E. Karen.

Sponsored Links
You need to buy and install (or have someone install) the meter box yourself.
Info and suppliers can be found here: http://www.meterboxes.co.uk/
You can't have it on the ground either.

The electrical work will need to be completed before any work to the fascia.

You will also need to arrange for an electrician in your area to reconnect the supply to your fusebox/consumer unit once the meter has been moved to its new location.

Thx for all your advice.... Yes! I did mean the meter box to be fixed to the ground NOT the wall - is this not at all possible?

Is there a max. distance from the electric supply cable to the meter box that you are allowed, as at the moment my box is probably 10ft or so away & inside the house!

As the electric is supplied overhead will it remain overhead or will it go underground in the future - which would be annoying if fascia has to be drilled into for the connection!

I've got in touch with electric company....now waiting their call...as you advised I think I'll keep pestering them :!:

Thx for help ..... any more I'll gladly read Karen x

A picture of the existing installation both outside, at the meter and at the fuse board (CU) would help.

Is the property listed Grade 1 or 2 ?

From the meter to the CU tends to be a max distance of 3 metres, but that varies from supplier to supplier. If you ask the supplier to provide a cut out (which is both a on/off switch and demarcation point between supply and fuse board) the tails between the supply and CU connection will be done by a sparks that you have to contract. This allows scope for exceeding the 3 metre distance mentioned earlier.

Would a external wall box for the meter and supply be any good ? You can get these as surface, semi recessed and full recessed- they can also be painted to camouflage the box and thus make them blend better with the building finish.

I suspect Karen would need not only a meter box but also a new cutout. Depending on the route of the service cables and the proposed new location of the meter, she might also have to pay for some length of service cables and new connection. In this case the DNO has to be contacted and in my experience it could cost about £500 (I was lucky to go away with much less :D ). Karen, if the meter is not in a very awkward location, better leave it where it is. If you decide to contact the DNO, my advise is send them registered letter or emails, so there is a proof what has been agreed.

Sorry for being abit thick but.... what is the DNO?

Thank you for all your advice, I guess the meter boxes will be relocated according to the quotations I get back from electricity company!!!

Karen

Distribution Network Operator ( or something like that.. I'm sure someone will correct me.. )

the people who fix the cables in the street ( or up the pole in your case )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back