fitting replacement fence panel (concrete posts)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping for a bit of help please as I can't seem to find a method that's safe!
I need to drop a new fence panel in and have tried with a 4 step step ladder and also just got the loft ladder down which doesn't seem amazingly stable. We are trying a technique using string handles but struggling to get the panel high enough for it to drop in. If the handles are too low then it falls back or forward as expected. I'm stuck as the left side is patio on my side and the right side is flower border. There's a conservatory as you can see behind it as well.
Is this going to be too risky to attempt as one individual?

Sponsored Links
Screenshot_20200831-182525.png

Plenty of videos online, fix some temporary handles to the panel to enable you to lift it up.

Thanks both, I think it would be easier if it wasnt half along the patio and half in the border so lifting the left side more. Not really many precious plants so did consider something solid to put the right feet of the ladder on but still may sink on that side. Shortage of wood and screws to make temporary handles as well, would be better than the string for stability but may still have the issue of getting high enough. I did consider it might be easier to ask the neighbour to assist as he can lift the side in front of his conservatory.

Sponsored Links
Thanks both, I think it would be easier if it wasnt half along the patio and half in the border so lifting the left side more. Not really many precious plants so did consider something solid to put the right feet of the ladder on but still may sink on that side. Shortage of wood and screws to make temporary handles as well, would be better than the string for stability but may still have the issue of getting high enough. I did consider it might be easier to ask the neighbour to assist as he can lift the side in front of his conservatory.

As said, it takes two people to do it safely so if your neighbour is willing to help then that should be easy to do between the 2 of you.
He lifts the end level with your flowerbed from his side and you lift the end level with your patio on your side.
If you can both use stepladders to help raise it high enough it will save having to try and lift it vertically above head height.
One important tip!

DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME IF THERE IS A WIND BLOWING! Even a gentle breeze can make the fence act like a sail board and wrest it from your grasp.

5 ft panel 2 8ft bits off 2x1" clamped or screwed at the top and bottom 1 ft from the edge each side sticking out the bottom 3ft
defiantly a 2 man job but at ground level this way and as said a dead still day:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back