Fitting replacement toilet, problems with soil pipe?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am replacing my existing toilet and think I may come across problems.
The soil pipe is fixed and quite low and flush to the wall with a small connector pipe to the toliet, the toilet I have appears to have quite a low waste pipe (centre is approx. 175mm for floor), but as I am laying down 6mm ply, it is going come up even higher.
I think I need a toilet with a very low waste pipe, or is there a suitable connector I can use - I have seen offset and flexi connectors but am not sure if it will work with my soil pipe (pictures below).
Also, do the fill pipes look like they are in standard position, or will these need to be adjusted also?
Any other advice appreciated.
Thanks in advance.

154000_153302_31809_21587728_thumb.jpg

154000_153302_31810_55936513_thumb.jpg

154000_153302_31811_64274271_thumb.jpg

154000_153302_31812_41027299_thumb.jpg

Sponsored Links
the toilet I have appears to have quite a low waste pipe (centre is approx. 175mm for floor), but as I am laying down 6mm ply, it is going come up even higher
That's a standard height for the pan outlet and 6mm added isn't going to make much difference.

As for the water supply, it's almost certain that you'll have to alter it. Not a big job though :)

Thanks for the reply.

The toilet I am looking at has an outlet centre of 190mm (plus 7-8mm of ply and vinyl), will make it around 25mm higher than it currently is. I don't think the soil pipe connector currently attached will twist high enough to fit this new height and still be a secure fit. As the room is small, the toilet outlet goes very close to the soil pipe, is there something suitable for this if needed (I think the flexi-connectors are too big even when fully compacted, and I'm not sure the offset connector is the right part for the job)?

Water supply 'Not a big job' - for a plumber or for a 'decent' diy'er (would any cutting and soldering be needed?)?

Thanks.

What material is the existing soil pipe?

Sponsored Links
You can get flexi connectors with a 90d elbow seen them in toolstaion catalogue.
Just cut back the soil pipe to make room.
Pete

Looks like you need an angle grinder on that soil pipe to cut it back as far back to the wall as possible and a flexible 90 pan connector to finish the job, from the pictures I can see. :D

I'm not sure what the existing soil pipe is, but it's pretty solid, and yes it would need angle grinding for definite.

The picture of that 90d flexible pan connector - looking at the end of the connector, it looks like it's too big to fit inside the soil pipe and would need to go around it? If that's the case, the soil pipe is flush to the wall and won't take it.

Might not be a standard 4" soil pipe could be 3 1/2" measure diameter. Plumbers merchant should provide accordingly.

Measured the circumference with a piece of string and converted it to find the diameter.
External diameter appears to be 4.45", so internal is maybe 4"?

The more space you can make between soil pipe and pan, the smaller the mis-alignment angle, so If it's plastic, cut it back close to the wall, and fit a 90 degree pan connector and extension piece.

p1071931_l.jpg
p1062074_l.jpg

An ordinary hacksaw makes short work of cutting plastic soil pipe, but a wire saw can be handy getting into awkward corners.
Wire%20saw%20sub%20sub%20category%20nw.jpg

A flexible tap connector would probably solve the fill pipe position problem. Push-fit versions are available, but the end of the pipe needs to be clean, cut squarely and de-burred thoroughly. IMO Compression fitting are more practical on old pipework.

Hi,
Thanks again for all the replies.
A few things:

1.Yes, I think the soil pipe is just plastic.

2.On the post from TicklyT showing the 90d pipe, the end with the flex on it looks like it needs to fit over the soil pipe, not in it, is this correct, as the soil pipe is flush on the wall with no room to put anything around it.

3.In my poor diagram of the toilet toom, you can see how small it is. There is no room to move the toilet further into the room to be able to fit an extension piece on to the 90d pipe (you can see in my first pic how there is one 90d pipe connecting the soil pipe to the toilet pipe with no extension).

154000_153302_31856_60544323_thumb.jpg

I suppose I am asking if there is a way to connect up assuming that the new toilet sits in exactly the same position as my first picture, but maybe with the toilet outlet pipe 25mm higher up?

Thanks you all again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back