Fitting room thermostat to old two zone system

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old CH system from when the house was new, just over 30 years ago.

There are two zones, one upstairs and one downstairs. I’ve been told it’s an S-Plan. Three motorised valves in total with a regular boiler and cylinder.

In each zone there are TRVs on every radiator except one.

We’ve never had a room stat.

There’s a smallish square black box on the wall next to the boiler, which the gas engineers call the control box. Everything seems to be wired through that.

I hardly ever use upstairs, so just pop the heating on for an hour occasionally. So, I don’t really need a room stat for that zone.

I’d like to know if it is possible to fit a room stat just to the downstairs. Both in a technical sense and in a legal sense. I'm just trying to save money on the install. I’ve been told that every replacement boiler now needs room stats for each zone, but I’ve decided not to replace the boiler at this time.

Sponsored Links
Yes you can have a thermostat for one zone, but if you’ve never had one then wiring will need to be altered. You could opt for the Wiser 3 channel hub (others are available), which has x2 thermostats, albeit quite expensive.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back