Fitting shower screen over border tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to fit a new shower screen to replace a curtain but my tiles have a raised border tile running right around the room.

Will I need to mark the screen on the border and grind it flat to the rest of the tiles so that the screen sits flat along its length or can I fit it over the raised border and fill the gap to the the rest of the tiles with silicone? I am worried that the gap will be too big and look ugly.

Sponsored Links
Hi Mark,
Just do it the way you said. Mark the position on the border and carefully grind it flush. A dusty job, but the best way for sure. A little bead of silicone after the screen is fitted to finish it off, and the jobs done.The other way you mentioned would have looked awful.

Roughcaster.

Thanks for the feedback, I thought that was the way to go but wanted to avoid the mess! Grinding disc on drill it is then. :)

Goggles and mask advised as well Mark. Good luck mate,you'll have no problem. ;)

Roughcaster.

Sponsored Links
Personally I would prefer to, & just have in the same situation, packed out the mounting for the screen above & below the border tiles & then sealed the gap with silicon.

That wouldnt look as proffesional as cutting the tile away, although it would depend on how raised the border tile is, I suppose.

I would prefer a grind, dust or no dust, job done not having to replace the silicone, not geting in a mess either.

Yep. I agree.I don't think it would look very neat, and would probably take longer to do it that way as well, but everyone has their own way of doing things.

Roughcaster.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back