Fitting shower trap - am I missing something?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks if anyone can point me in the right direction with this query!

I'm currently trying to fit a shower tray, and have encountered a problem, - My plan is to lay the tray onto a layer of mortar straight on top of the existing floorboards, and use a shower trap which can be emptied/cleaned from above if this is necessary in the future.

When I have come to fit the trap it has become obvious that where the waste pipe leaves the trap it will be exiting at the level of the existing floorboards - does anyone know of a way round this? or am I missing something simple!

Sponsored Links
Your not really missing something, couple of points Get rid of the floor Boards Lay Ply 18mm WPB use 2 x 45 degree connectors to get to where you want to get to and if part of the problem is not enough room then turn the Tray.

there are some wastes with a turnable outlet that will make the first 45 degree for you.

Do not get sucked into using a flexi connector for an easy life.

Many thanks for your reply - I'm starting to think that I've just chosen an unsuitable type of trap. I bought the trap shown in the attached photo, but the problem is that the distance between the uppermost part of the trap body, and the uppermost part of the screw-in ring which seals the 40mm exit pipe is about 5mm, thus only allowing a 5mm floor surface for the tray to sit on! Is the type of trap pictured aimed purely at trays mounted on a plinth? *edit* - or should I be cutting a bigger hole in the flooring so that the trap is unobstructed by the floor? (I was originally thinking I would just cut a hole big enough for the top of the trap to pass through)

View media item 1949

No that is fine if you use 18mm ply you just have too cut out quite a large hole to allow for connecting, no issue with this as I assume you have a cast resin tray as you bedding on sand cement.

Sponsored Links
Yes, justed fitted the same shower trap. Hole has to be big enough for all of trap to be cleared as TT has advised.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back