Fitting shower tray S/C mix necessary?

ccw

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I am just in the final stages of fitting a quadrant shower tray. I had to raise it as I have a concrete floor. I built the platform level and have topped this with 18mm ply which supports the tray right up to the edges. When the tray is placed on top all is rock solid and level. So with the tray level and well supported, is it necessary to have a sand cement mix below the tray, or is it acceptable to secure the tray to the platform with some sealant. The platform is secured to the two walls. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Yes bed it on the sand and cement....it will give it proper stability long term and makes it much easier to level up.

Thanks for the reply Ollski. Should I be using a dry mix and what thickness. At the moment the tray and edges are supported on the flat ply base. How can I apply it to support the edges of the tray as putting under the center portion will raise the tray off the ply base and leave the edges up in the air.

Put ridges in the mortar so ir squashes down to be the height needed. If it's really thin use Tile adhesive.

Sponsored Links
I guess I would also then trowl some adhestive or s/c 5:1 mix to the bottom of the tray edges?

Hi all,

I am also about to concrete my quadrant shower base

but how am I going to stop the mix oozing out around the edges. ~ It seems to my limited knowledge that I would have to put a very firm edging around it to stop the mix comming out as the shower base is very heavy indeed.

or do I mix the sand 5:1 concrete mix to be not to oozy??

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back