Fitting Skirting board piece after fireplace removal

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I've just bought my first house and I'm having the fireplace removed (going for wall mounted instead).

This will leave a gap in the skirting boards which I need to address and I have a few questions.

1. Ideally I'd like to replace all the skirting on that wall purely to have it all looking neat and new, rather than just replacing a piece. I've looked into doing this myself but understand the main risk is damaging the plaster. If I get in a joiner, will they sort out any plastering needed or is that beyond their remit?
  2. Am I going overboard and a decent joiner can fit a piece to the existing without any noticeable aesthetic problems? Or if I'm going down the 'fill the gap' route should I be doing this myself since there's no risk to the plastering.
Sorry for the simplistic questions, but I'm learning so much going through this process of doing up the house.

Jonathan

Sponsored Links
Always a risk off damage when removing skirting , easy enough to repair.

How old is it?
Score along the top of the skirting and pull it off. Easy peasy to fill any damage.This is kiddie level DIY.
As a beginner it sounds like you might as well pull the whole lot off and replace rather than try to fit a piece seamlessly (assuming you can even find a match to the existing skirting?).

Sponsored Links
use levers and wedges to shift the whole skirting away, rather than a massive lever to bend it at one end.
once the screws or nails begin to show it gets easier
doing it from one end may split and end in tears. Save the bits you take off and remember where they are.
Grip fill is handy to stick new stuff back.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back