Skirting board fixings

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm replacing the skirting boards in my house. It's a 1960's house, the existing skirting boards are nailed to lengths of wood which sit behind the skirting. These are then nailed to wooden wedges which are driven in between bricks.

I read somewhere that this method of fixing skirting may have something to do with damp proofing - any ideas?

The new skirting will be of a different height and I was going to remove the lengths of wood and fill with one-coat plaster which I can then plug and screw the new skirting to. Any better ways of doing this?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
no nails glue is commonly used now, but a bugger to get off if you wanted to change it in the future

I have done all my own skirtings right around the house now. My original ones where fitted in the same way as you describe. A couple of tips I would give you are:-

If you are going to fill the gap with plaster as you suggest dont take it all the way down to the floor so damp cant rise after spillages , mopping etc.

Use no nails as it is more reliable but as shiznit76 says once on theyre not coming off!

Make sure that you unibond the plaster before gluing or they will ping off over time.

Use short lengths of batten to keep the skirtings tight against the wall until the glue sets. I usually screw the base of the batten to the floor if possible.

If you can afford it get them professionally painted as they just look so much better; however this could be because I am cr*p at painting.

Hope this helps

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back