Fitting sliding doors in place of windows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
Fitting two external timber frame DG sliding doors in place of windows as part of my extension refurb. Never done this before so grateful for any advice. I am just at the stage of measuring to order just now.

Timber lintels to the top, timber corner post that will receive one side of each door, and on the other side of one door is a cavity wall, and the other a solid block wall.

The existing windows have timber framing around them, between timber post, lintels and walls. My impression is that this has been done because the original windows (~30 years old), were either bought in a standard size, or mistakenly too small.

My question ahead of measuring and ordering, is whether I need framing like this around them or if the doors can be fixed directed to the timber post and lintels, and cavity and block walls?

Also, beyond ordering a few mm short to account for manufacturing tolerances, should the aim be to get as close to exact size of the space as possible, or is there any advantage to a larger gap?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back